Are you stressed out? Do you have trouble sleeping at night? Do you suffer from migraines and headaches? You may want to consider the ancient Chinese practice of reflexology.
Sometimes called zone therapy, reflexology divides the body into ten vertical zones. Practitioners believe the organs, muscles and other parts of the body within these zones are connected through the central nervous system to pressure points on the feet, hands, or ears. During a reflexology session, a practitioner presses firmly on reflex points on the feet, hands, or ears. These reflex points correspond to areas of the pain or tension felt in your body. The practitioner’s pressure touches trigger a calming message that’s sent through the central nervous system to your internal organs or muscles. Your body then adjusts the stress and tension in these muscles and organs to optimize their functioning.
Stress can cause tension and muscle stiffness in addition to pain. Reflexology helps to alleviate physical and emotional stress by calming the body. As calm is restored, tension in the brain eases and pain signals to the body are reduced.
Additionally, stress can cause a disruption of the body’s qi (“chee”), or flow of vital energy. Reflexology helps to stimulate the connections between the skin and the various organs and muscles. This stimulation removes the blockage and restores the body’s energy flow.
Reflexology can help your body regain its balance or health, so it can naturally repair and sustain itself. Thus, reflexology helps to restore your overall wellbeing.
What Are Some Benefits of Reflexology?
Reflexology can help with:
- Nerve function – During a reflexology session, over 7,000 different nerve endings are stimulated to increase their function and activity.
Energy levels – When certain organ and muscle systems are realigned through reflexology, you may experience increased metabolism and energy creation processes within your body.
- Circulation – Reflexology can improve your circulation. Therefore, blood and oxygen is cycled more efficiently throughout your body.
- Relaxation – Reflexology promotes a more relaxed, calm state in both your mind and body. It can also help restore your body’s normal Circadian rhythms for better sleep.
- Migraines and headaches – Stress is often manifested as a migraine or headache. Reflexology helps reduce stress and eliminate pain.
- Toxin removal – Reflexology can improve bladder function, so toxins are more efficiently eliminated.
- Nervous system stimulation – Reflexology stimulates neural pathways. Therefore, our brain will work more effectively; our physical reactions will be faster; and our memory will be better.
- Faster healing – With increased nerve activity and circulation, our cells can re-grow faster, so wounds are able to heal more quickly.
If you think you could benefit from reflexology, we recommend going to a reflexology practitioner who has received in-depth training and completed a national certification program.
Eliminate Foot Pain with ezWalker® Custom Orthotics
If you have foot pain, reflexology techniques and massage pressure help to increase blood flow and circulation to the feet. As the nerve endings in the feet are gently stimulated, you’ll experience pain relief and muscle relaxation.
However, if you suffer from chronic foot conditions like plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, or metatarsalgia, you may want to consider wearing custom orthotics, such as ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics, daily. These custom orthotics redistribute your weight evenly across your feet while relieving pressure on sensitive areas. Additionally, custom orthotics support the feet to reduce stress or biomechanical load on your lower body as you walk. As ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics guide each step you take throughout the gait cycle, you’ll experience reduced stress and strain on your feet, knees, hips, and lower back. In fact, ezWalker® Custom Orthotics have helped 95% of our customers reduce their pain. But don’t take our word for it, read what our customers have to say.
For more information about ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics, visit the WalkEZStore website. To order ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics, you can either schedule an appointment with Kathy Carandang, certified pedorthist and founder of the WalkEZStore, or visit our online store to place an order.
Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.® And your whole body feels good, too.
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Cover image: 123RF / Prig Morisse