Bicycle riding is a fun and a healthy way to stay active. However, whether you’re an experienced cyclist or a relative newbie, you need to stay safe while sharing the road with motor vehicles. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, each year about 2% of all traffic fatalities are bicyclists. Therefore, before you grab your bike and head out, take the time to review and follow some basic bicycle safety tips gathered by the WalkEZStore.
More Bicycle Safety Tips
Here are some additional bicycle safety tips to abide by, include:
Wear bright-colored clothing. Fluorescent colors can help you be seen day or night. Before riding at night, ask someone to check your visibility to make sure you’ll been seen.
- Use lights at night. You should have a white headlight and rear red reflectors.
- Stay alert. Watch for traffic and road hazards, like uneven, rough surfaces, sewer grates, objects in the road, slippery surfaces, gravel, sand, or other debris.
- Watch the road behind you. Learn to look back over your shoulder or use rear-view mirrors.
- Never wear headphones while riding a bike. They can distract you and prevent you from hearing traffic and pedestrians.
- Ride in the same direction as other vehicles. Never ride against traffic.
- Obey lane markings. Never turn left from the right lane. Don’t go straight if you’re in the right-turn only lane.
- Never pass on the right. Motorists may not see you.
- Decide how you will turn left. You can either: 1) Signal and move into the left turn lane. Then turn left. 2) Go to the cross walk and walk your bike across.
- Be ready to brake with both hands. Allow more distance when braking in the rain.
- Maintain eye contact with drivers. Ensure other drivers see you.
- Plan ahead for group rides. Agree on the route ahead of time. Have a plan in case you get separated by traffic.
- Keep your bike in good working condition. Check your brakes and tires regularly. Perform routine maintenance.
By following these bicycle safety tips, you can help ensure you’ll get to where you want to go safely.
ezCycler® Custom Orthotics – For Avid Cyclists
If you’re an avid cyclist, you know how cycling can put a lot of pressure and strain on your body. You can suffer pain and damage to your feet, knees, hips and back. However, custom orthotics, like the ezCycler® Breakaway Fit Orthotics can provide the support you need while reducing pressure to your feet and knees. The WalkEZStore’s goal with our ezCycler® Breakaway Fit Orthotics is to help evenly distribute the forces across your entire forefoot as you pedal. Therefore, you can generate maximum power during each pedal stroke without wasting energy.
ezCycler® Custom Orthotics are ultra-thin and ¾ length, so they add very little weight or bulk to your cycling shoes – clip or clipless styles. Their design enables your heels to seat deep within your shoes, so your heels don’t ride up and out of your shoes.
For more information about ezCycler® Breakway Fit Orthotics, visit the WalkEZStore website. To schedule an appointment to be fitted for your custom orthotics, click here. When you put ezCycler® Custom Orthotics in your shoes, you’ll gain power without the pain.
Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Cover photo: 123RF / alphaspirit