It’s summer – time for travel and vacation; swimming at the pool or your favorite swimming hole; playing golf, tennis or other warm weather sports; barbecues with family and friends – and fireworks, especially for 4th of July and Labor Day celebrations.
But maybe you remember how last summer didn’t go as planned. You hurt and peeled after you got that bad sunburn. Or, you itched like crazy after getting bit by mosquitos at the family picnic. Or, you had to spend several hundreds of dollars in car repairs after that fender bender while caught in holiday traffic.
But this summer doesn’t have to be a repeat of last year. You can have summer fun and stay safe. Here are some tips to ensure your summer stays safe for you and your family:
- Practice good driving habits. Stay safe by Constantly scanning the road to your front, sides and rear for other vehicles. Use your turn signals. Don’t follow too closely. Be courteous to other drivers. Remember road rage doesn’t solve driving issues with other drivers. Don’t text and drive. Don’t drink and drive.
- Follow water safety rules. Swim in designated areas. Never dive or jump into unknown water. Always swim with a buddy to stay safe. Never leave children alone near the water. Wear a lifejacket if you don’t know how to swim. Also wear a lifejacket when boating. Never swim or drive a boat while intoxicated.
- Protect your skin from sun damage. Reduce your sun exposure between the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. when UV rays are strongest to stay safe from possible skin cancer. Liberally apply sunscreen (at least SPF 15) 15 minutes before going outdoors and re-apply at least every two hours. Or cover as much skin as possible with loose-fitting clothing, such as long-sleeve shirts and long pants. Wear a wide-brimmed hat to cover the face and neck. Wear sunglasses that provide 100% UVA and UVB protection.
- Keep insects from biting you. Wear insect repellent to protect against mosquito, tick and other insect bites. Consider staying indoors at dawn and dusk when mosquitos are active. Wear light-colored, long-sleeve shirts and long pants with your pants tucked into your socks when near or in woods or grassy areas. Conduct a body check for ticks once you’re home. Remove ticks as soon as you see them.
Keep safe with the temperatures soar. Limit strenuous activities to the morning and evening hours, when it’s cooler. Drink plenty of water. Never, EVER leave infants, children, people over age 65 or those with chronic illness, or animals unattended in a parked car in hot weather – it only takes as little as 10 minutes for temperatures rise to levels that can kill. Know the warning signs of heatstroke.
- Handle fireworks safely. Always follow package directions to stay safe when using fireworks. Wear eye protection and sturdy footwear – never sandals or flip-flops – when lighting fireworks to protect against possible burns. Have water close by to douse unexpected fires. Never give fireworks to small children. Keep fireworks away from children and pets. Never point fireworks at people, pets, vehicles or other objects. Stay at least 500 feet away from professional fireworks displays.
By following these suggestions and pre-planning, your summer should be fun and memorable for all of the right reasons while you stay safe!
Protect Your Feet this Summer
As you plan your summer activities, consider how you’ll protect your feet.
- Apply sunscreen on your feet, too.
- Wear the appropriate shoes for the activity. Realize that sandals and flip-flops don’t provide enough foot support, especially if you’re going to be walking or standing for long time periods.
- Avoid walking barefoot to prevent injuries from rocks, hot pavement or sand, or other dangers.
If you suffer from painful foot conditions, like plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis, consider purchasing a pair of ezWalker® Performance Custom Orthotics. Customized to the exact specifications of each of your feet, these custom orthotics provide your feet with the support they need. With proactive use of ezWalker® Custom Orthotics, you’ll know that every step you take is biomechanically correct, reducing your risk of foot pain while protecting your feet from injury. For more information, visit the WalkEZStore.com.
Make your summer – and the rest of the year – pain free. Order your ezWalker® Performance Custom Orthotics today.
Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®