Regardless of what you’re doing – standing, walking, running, sitting or sleeping – you’re using your back. If your posture or body position isn’t the best during these activities, you’ll experience increased stress and strain on your joints and muscles. And you know what that means – increased pain from your head and neck down to your ankles and feet.
Good posture means your entire body is properly aligned. And when your body is in proper alignment, your overall health is better. You have increased lung capacity, better digestion, less muscle fatigue and a healthier functioning nervous system.
Think about it. How many times have you gotten up after being hunched over your desk at work or slouched on the couch watching TV, and thought, “Wow, my neck and shoulders hurt.” Or, “Ow, my back hurts.” Or, “Boy, do I have a headache.” Your poor posture is likely causing these responses.
Follow These Steps for Better Posture
However, there are some steps you can take to improve your posture.
- Assess your posture by looking in a mirror. Your head should be straight. Your shoulders level. The space between your arms and sides should be equal. Your hips should be level. The knees should face forward. Your feet and ankles should be straight.
Find your neutral spine. There are 3 natural curves in your spine – the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle back) and lumbar (lower back). For a proper neutral spine alignment, you want your cervical and lumbar spine to curve gently inward while your thoracic spine curves slightly outward.
- Place your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Keep your weight on the balls of your feet.
- Pull your shoulders back. Your shoulders should be directly over your hips. Don’t shrug your shoulders.
- Stand and walk tall with your head up. Pretend there is a helium balloon attached to the top of your head that’s pulling it up. Your ears should be directly over your shoulders.
- Sit up straight when sitting.
- Make sure your entire spine is in contact with the back of your chair – from your neck to your tailbone, when sitting.
- Work on your posture daily. Be aware of your body position when standing, moving, sitting or laying down.
Start taking action today to improve your posture. Not only will it relieve aches and pain in your body, but it will improve your overall health, too.
Get Better Posture with WalkEZStore Custom Orthotics
If you experience chronic pain due poor posture, you should try ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics. These custom orthotics are bio-mechanically designed to properly support the arches of your feet and redistribute your body weight evenly over both of your feet, bringing your whole body into correct alignment. ezWalker® Custom Orthotics correct your stance by placing your feet into a more optimally controlled position, eliminating the pain and pressure caused from incorrect gait cycle. With our custom orthotics, your feet are guided from lateral heel to medial forefoot – the correct motions of the gait cycle. So you’ll experience pain relief and comfort throughout your body.
For more information, visit the WalkEZStore website. Or, order your ezWalker Custom Fit Orthotics today.
Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.