The goal of walking 10,000 steps a day was popularized in Japan about 40 years ago. Think about it. The Japanese tend to be healthier than Americans. Besides eating a healthier diet of primarily fish, rice and vegetables, the Japanese walk more in their daily lives. 10,000 steps a day equals about 5 miles a day, depending on your stride.
The average American eats a fattier, more processed diet and typically walks between 5,500 to 7,500 steps a day. That roughly equals to a little over 2.5 to 3.5 miles a day.
Walking is a fairly easy activity to do. You can walk almost anywhere, at any time, and in Here are some benefits that you can gain.
- Walking reduces your risk of type 2 diabetes by about 60% if you walk 150 minutes a week. Walking promotes efficient use of glucose by the muscles for improved blood sugar levels and proper utilization of insulin in the body.
- Walking 3 times a week for 30 minutes can increase your cardio-respiratory health. Plus it lowers your bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises your good cholesterol (HDL).
- Walking reduces your blood pressure. It improves blood flow that increases oxygen to your muscles. This, in turn, relaxes your blood vessels and helps to lower your blood pressure.
- Walking reduces your risk of stroke. In a study of people who walked briskly for 30 minutes, five days a week, they reduced their risk of stroke by 40%.
- Walking helps you beat breast cancer. Women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have a 45% greater chance of survival by walking regularly.
- Walking saves your memory. Walking increases blood flow to your brain. People who walk regularly have a 27% lower risk of developing dementia than those who don’t walk as much.
- Walking boosts your mood and helps prevent depression. People with depression, who walked for 30 minutes, 3 to 5 times a week for 3 months, reduced their symptoms by 47%.
- Walking promotes bone health. Walking can increase your bone density and slow down bone loss.
So, go get a pedometer and start walking to reap these benefits.
If you suffer from painful foot conditions that prevent you from walking regularly, you should consider wearing ezWalker® Performance Custom Orthotics. ezWalker® Orthotics are specifically made for each of your feet, providing you with the exact support your feet need. Your feet will be better biomechanically aligned, so each step will be controlled throughout the gait cycle. You’ll notice you have better posture with greater stability and balance. Plus you’ll experience reduced stress and strain on your feet, knees, hips and/or back. So, you’ll have pain relief with every step you take as you build up to 10,000 steps a day.
Since ezWalker® Custom Orthotics are ultra thin and ¾ length, they easily fit into any footwear, including athletic, dress or casual shoes. Since these arch supports can be purchased via the Internet, anyone, from anywhere, can own a pair. Order your ezWalker® Performance Custom Orthotics today so you can start walking better.
Put ezWalker® Custom Orthotics in your shoes and put a smile on your face. Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®