Have you been a couch potato all winter? Maybe you know you need to do something to get fit, but you’re just not sure what. Maybe it seems too overwhelming to figure out what to do. Well, before you head back to your couch and the remote, check out these 25 easy tips to help you get started on a healthier lifestyle.
- Choose a physical activity that you really like to do. Start out exercising for 15 or 20 minutes. Gradually increase your time and intensity.
- Replace ground turkey for ground beef to lower the amount of saturated fat in your diet.
- Wear a pedometer. You may be surprised to find out how much you walk a day. Gradually increase your steps every 2 weeks.
- Use less salt. You need less than 1,500 mg of sodium a day. Use herbs and spices instead.
- Listen to music while exercising to make it more fun.
- Add more fiber to your diet such as apples, carrots, peas, oats and beans.
- Do yard work to get some exercise.
- Use lower fat substitutes, like low-fat yogurt instead of sour cream, eggs whites instead of whole eggs, fat-free milk instead of whole milk, or low-fat salad dressing instead of regular salad dressing.
- Order your salad dressing on the side. Dip your fork in your dressing first before spearing your salad.
- Walk in place or around the office or house while you’re on the phone.
- Do lunges while you vacuum.
- Park further away from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
- Eat sugar-free, fat-free frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
- Act like a kid again by jumping rope.
- Reduce the size of your portions when you eat.
- Keep a record of everything you eat. It’ll help you stay on track and watch for problems.
- Request a smaller serving size when dining out. Or, immediately put half of your meal in a take-home container to keep you from eating too much.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Use vegetables oils like canola or olive oil instead of other fats like butter or Crisco.
- Wear ankle weights while you walk to give your legs a workout.
- When dining out, ask for vegetables or fruits instead of chips, French fries or other high-fat side dishes.
- Work out with a friend. You’ll be more motivated to keep going.
- Drink iced water with lemon or orange slices instead soft drinks.
- Enjoy your food by slowly chewing it. Stop eating before you feel full.
- Reward yourself with non-food-related treats when you achieve short-term goals.
Don’t Let Pain Keep You from Getting Healthier
Does pain from bunions, plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis keep you from being physically active? Consider wearing custom orthotics like ezWalker® Custom Performance Orthotics. These custom orthotics are specifically designed for each of your feet to ensure you receive maximum support of your feet’s arches. ezWalker® Custom Orthotics guide your feet into proper biomechanical position, so your body will be better aligned from your feet up. Better alignment means your feet, legs, hips and lower back will experience less stress, stain and pain. So you’ll feel more like getting up and getting active. Plus, ezWalker® Custom Orthotics provide greater stability and balance while you’re walking, running, playing tennis or performing other physical activities.
Never lose a step to foot pain. Visit our website for more information on ezWalker® Custom Performance Orthotics. Click here to order your pair today, so you can get moving.
Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®