During warmer months, we love to take advantage of outdoor activities like swimming, biking, and hiking. However, if you’re going to be out in the sun, do you remember to put suntan lotion on your feet? If not, you’re not alone. A lot of people seem to forget that their feet can get sunburned, too.
But, did you know that your feet are one of the leading places where skin cancer can be found? Unfortunately, skin cancer of the feet can also has poorer treatment outcomes since it’s often not detected until later stages. But when it’s detected early, most skin cancers can be treated with successful results.
Examine Your Feet
You should check your feet monthly. Make sure to carefully look at all areas of the foot, including the tops and soles of the feet, between the toes, and under the toenails. Use a mirror, if needed, to check your soles. Or ask someone to help you look at your feet.
Types of Skin Cancer
The three forms of skin cancer include:
- Basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma – These types of non-melanoma cancers can be cured if they’re found and treated early.
- Melanoma – This type is the most serious type of cancer. However, it is curable if it’s found in the early stages.
Signs and Symptoms of Skin Cancer
During self-exams, look at all existing moles, skin tags, freckles, or other skin spots for these warning signs:
- Increases in size (i.e., diameter or thickness), especially ¼ inch or larger.
- Changes in color – pearly, translucent, tan, brown, black, or multicolored.
- Irregular borders or the spread of color past the edge of the mole or spot.
- A smooth bump that’s indented in the middle.
- Scaling, oozing, or bleeding moles or spots.
- Itchiness, tenderness, or pain.
- Sores that take over three weeks to heal.
- Shiny, waxy, scar-like spots that may be yellow or white with irregular borders.
Also, look for the appearance of any new moles or spots with these warning signs. If you find anything suspicious or worrisome, see your doctor immediately.
Protect Your Feet
Follow these tips to reduce your risk of skin cancer of the feet:
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wear shoes and socks whenever possible while you’re outside.
- Regularly use a waterproof broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher on your feet and ankles (and all over your body for that matter). Reapply sunscreen every two hours or if you’ve been in the water.
Also, don’t forget to protect your kids’ feet, too!
ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics Relieve Foot Pain
Did you know you can develop foot conditions, like calluses, plantar fasciitis, and/or heel or arch pain from wearing flip-flops or sandals a lot? However, you can protect and support your feet by slipping ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics in your shoes. These orthotic devices are customized to the exact specifications of each of your feet. Therefore, you’ll receive the exact support each foot needs. With every step you take, your feet will be bio-mechanically aligned – providing you with comfort and pain relief. Since these custom orthotics are ultra thin and ¾ in length, they easily fit into any type footwear – even sandals with the help of a piece of Velcro®. Order your ezWalker® Custom Fit Orthotics from the WalkEZStore today.
Enjoy the warm weather and remember to protect your feet. Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.®
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.