In this study, 198 office workers with frequent neck and shoulder pain were split into three groups.
- The first group performed daily resistance training with elastic tubing for two minutes a day.
- The second group worked out 12 minutes a day with elastic tubing resistance training
- The third group didn’t work out at all.
While the group that exercised 12 minutes a day had larger reductions in pain and tenderness, the group that exercised only 2 minutes a day still experienced significant improvements in pain reduction compared to those who didn’t exercise at all.
While this study wasn’t conducted on people with arthritis, two minutes of exercise can strengthen muscles and reduce stiffness due to arthritis. Plus, when people see the benefits of short bursts of exercise, they’ll be more likely to begin and continue an exercise program. And, it’s better than doing nothing in relieving pain and tenderness.
So, if you suffer from arthritis in your feet, knees, hips and lower back, try these two-minute exercises:
- Hamstring stretch for 30 seconds to reduce back pain by lengthening the thigh muscles.
- Calf stretch for 30 seconds to keep the Achilles tendons and plantar fascia from getting tight.
- Calf raises for 10 seconds repeated 3 times to strengthen the feet and calves, while improving balance.
- Seated straight leg raises for 30 seconds for each leg to strengthen leg muscles and knees.
- Toe extensions for 5 seconds repeated 5 times for each foot to strengthen and support muscles.
- March in place for 30 to 60 seconds to strengthen hip and thigh muscles.
Custom Orthotics Provide Pain Relief, too!
If you suffer from arthritis, custom orthotics, like the ezWalker® Performance Insole, can evenly redistribute your weight on your feet. The ezWalker® is biomechanically designed to support your arches, help you walk more efficiently, and obtain pain relief.
The ezWalker® is ultra thin and 3/4 length, making it easy to transfer from shoe to shoe. Plus, it can be worn in almost any type of footwear. However, a good fitting pair of shoes made of quality construction is recommended to best relieve the pain of arthritis and other chronic pain issues.
So, reduce the pain in your feet, knees, hips, and lower back caused by arthritis – try the ezWalker® insole today! You’ve got nothing to lose, but your pain. Because … when your feet feel good, you feel good.
Note: If you follow these guidelines and your pain persists, you may have a more serious condition. See your physician for a more complete diagnosis and treatment.